Machine Gun Kelly, also known by the acronym MGK, real name Colson Baker, born April 22, 1990 in Houston, Texas, is an American rapper and actor from Cleveland, Ohio. His stage name is a reference to his fast flow but also to the criminal Machine Gun Kelly. He rose to fame after making his first four mixtapes: Stamp of Approval (2006), Homecoming (2008), 100 Words and Running (2010), and Lace Up (2010). In 2011, he signed a recording contract with Interscope and Bad Boy Records.
He is also an actor, for example in the films Nerve and Bird Box.
In addition to his acting career, Machine Gun Kelly released his album Hotel Diablo on July 5, 2019.
Machine Gun Kelly Biography
Youth and beginnings (1990-2010)
Colson Baker was born April 22, 1990 in Houston, Texas. Colson is of Norwegian descent through his mother and of German, English and Scottish descent through his father. His parents being missionaries, he traveled around the world from an early age, residing as well in Egypt as in Germany or in various cities of the United States such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver, or Cleveland2. Having lived in Egypt until the age of four, he learned Arabic before English3. He attended Hamilton Middle School in Denver, Colorado, after settling in the United States. It was at this time that he began to listen to rap. At that time, his favorite rappers were Ludacris and DMX. He moved to Cleveland, Ohio at the age of 14. He attended Shaker Heights High School where he graduated in 2008.
He went to the Apollo Theater in New York to perform there in 2009 and obtained several victories2. He thus becomes the first white rapper to win a victory in this room. He is already recording music in his studio which he speaks of as the Cage of Rage. He appears for the first time on television in the show Sucker Free Freestyle of the channel MTV where he performs a freestyle on the single Chip Off The Block. In February 2010, he released a mixtape titled 100 Words and Running2. He released Lace Up, his second mixtape in November 20103.
Contracts and first album (2011-2012)
MGK appears in XXL magazine since 2011. He is friends with Juicy J who asks him to rap on his song Inhale. He appeared for the first time in the SXSW show in Austin in March 2011. P. Diddy spotted him and since that date he has been heavily exhibited on the music scene. He signs a contract with Bad Boy Records which is associated with Interscope. He participates shortly after in the song Finally Home of XV. In November, he released a music video for his song Wild Boy featuring Waka Flocka Flame. In December, Machine Gun Kelly appears in 106 & Park, the popular BET channel show. In February 2012, he announced that his highly anticipated debut album, titled Half Nacked and Almost Famous, would be released the following month.
Wild Boy, the first single from his debut album featuring Waka Flocka Flame debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at eighty-ninth place. His song Invincible is used in a commercial for the HTC ReZound and also to promote WrestleMania XXVIII and WWE during John Cena’s fight with The Rock. This is also the theme of Thursday Night Football on NFL. The song is released on iTunes as the second single from the album. On December 14, 2011, MGK was voted “Hottest Breakthrough MC” by MTV4.
In 2012, he appeared on the cover of XXL magazine because he was part of the Top 10 Freshmen list with Macklemore, French Montana, Hopsin, Danny Brown, Iggy Azalea, Roscoe Dash, Future, Don Trip and Kid Ink. In August, he made a new mixtape called EST 4 Life and containing old and recent tracks. In March, he won the MTVu Breaking Woodie Award. His first album, Lace Up, was finally released in October 2012. It contains featurings with Bun B, Cassie, DMX, Dubo, Ester Dean, Lil Jon, Tech N9ne, Twista, Waka Flocka Flame, Young Jeezy and Avenged Sevenfold among others. . The album is ranked fourth on the Billboard 200, with 57,000 copies sold in the first week. He tumbled to twenty-second place in the second week with a total of 65,000 copies in two weeks. In January 2013, the album had 128,000 copies sold.
Black Flag and second album (2013–2016)
On January 28, 2013, MGK announced that it was releasing a new mixtape. Her first single is called Peso featuring Pusha T and Meek Mill. MGK later stated that Wiz Khalifa would be part of the mixtape. He reveals the name of his mixtape called Black Flag, without further details. Upon release the mixtape contains featurings with Wiz Khalifa, French Montana, Kellin Quinn, Dub-O, Sean McGee and Tezo. He begins work on his second studio album and confirms that it is in studio recording on January 22, 2014. In November 2014, under the fictitious name of Kid Culprit, or his real name, Colson Baker, he participates in the soundtrack original of the film Beyond the Lights by Gina Prince-Bythewood by collaborating with artists Terius Nash and NONI for the track Masterpiece.
In the meantime, he had time to release a mini mixtape called Fuck It! during the summer of 2015. MGK is preparing a major tour across the United States as well as in Europe, the last date of its tour is in France, in Paris.
The Ubisoft company uses its song Invincible sung with the company of Ester Dean for the music playlist of the Watch Dogs game.
The song Invincible is used as the entry theme for WrestleMania XXVIII. On June 15, 2015, he appeared on the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestling show where he was attacked (scripted) by wrestler Kevin Owens5. On October 16, 2015, he released his second album titled General Admission including the first single Till I Die.
Bloom and notoriety (2017)
On May 12, 2017, he released his third album titled Bloom. Many collaborations are there, in particular on the three singles of the album with Bad Things, featuring with Camila Cabello released on October 13, 2016, At My Best featuring with Hailee Steinfeld released on March 16, 2017, and Trap Paris in collaboration with rappers Ty Dolla Sign and Quavo, released April 13, 2017.
On September 3, 2018, he released the diss song Rap Devil; he thus responds to Eminem, who attacked him in his album Kamikaze. The song reached 107 million views on YouTube in twenty days, and brought MGK high visibility. Eminem will respond to him with the Killshot sound on September 14, 2018.
Following the success and visibility created thanks to Eminem’s response, MGK released the EP “Binge” containing the Diss song “Rap Devil” and also the sound “Loco”. The rapper’s Extenxed-Play sold 21,519 sales in the first week and started at 54th place on the Billboard 200, dropping to 111th place the following week.
Hotel Diablo and pop punk (2019)
In April 2019, Billboard announced that MGK’s next album would be titled Hotel Diablo. The first single, “Hollywood Whore”, will be released on May 17, 2019. The second single, “El Diablo”, will be released on May 31, 2019. On June 7, 2019, MGK will release the third single, “I Think I’m Okay”, with Yungblud and Travis Barker. The album Hotel Diablo was released on July 5, 20196.
On July 9, 2019, the official music video for “Candy” featuring Trippie Redd was uploaded.
He released his latest single, “Glass House” with Naomi Wild on the same day. The album debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 chart, becoming his fourth album to be ranked in the magazine’s Top 10.
Tickets to My Downfall (2020)
In December 2019, MGK began to announce an upcoming project with Travis Barker, he then revealed that the album would be of the pop punk genre. On January 14, 2020, MGK announced the title of the project: Tickets to My Downfall, slated for release later this year.
Machine Gun Kelly Private life
On July 23, 2008, at the age of 18, he became the father of a girl, named Casie Colson Baker, from her union with Emma Cannon.
He decided to earn money to buy a new house for his daughter. MGK suffered from a heroin addiction for two years. His song “Lead You On” deals with this one. Because of this addiction, he became homeless in 2010 and attempted suicide. Machine Gun Kelly can still be observed using cannabis in music videos or interviews.
MGK claims to have been influenced by DMX and Eminem.
In 2013, Machine Gun Kelly had an affair with the porn actress, Rachel Starr, then in 2015, he dated for a few months Amber Rose9. In 2017, he briefly dated singer Halsey10. In the summer of 2019, he had an affair with the American DJ, Chantel Jeffries11, as well as with the model, Sommer Ray, between February and April 202012.
In June 2020, after several weeks of rumors, he formalized his relationship with the American actress, Megan Fox13,14.
Machine Gun Kelly Discography
- 2012: Lace Up
- 2015: General Admission
- 2017: Bloom
- 2019: Hotel Diablo
- 2020: Tickets To My Downfall
- 2012: Half Naked and Almost Famous
- 2007: Stamp of Approval
- 2008: Homecoming
- 2010: 100 Words and Running
- 2010: Lace Up
- 2011: Rage Pack
- 2012: EST 4 Life (with Dub-O)
- 2013: Black Flag
- 2015: Fuck It!
- 2018: BINGE
- 2010: Alice in Wonderland
- 2011: Wild Boy (featuring Waka Flocka Flame)
- 2011: Invincible (featuring Ester Dean)
- 2012: Hold On (Shut Up) (featuring Young Jeezy)
- 2014: Sail
- 2014: No Miracles (featuring Kid Ink and Elle Varner)
- 2014: Mind Of A Stoner (featuring Wiz Khalifa)
- 2014: Raise the Flag
- 2015: Till I Die
- 2015: Against The World
- 2015: A Little More (featuring Victoria Monet)
- 2015: Almost
- 2015: Blue Skies
- 2016: Young Man
- 2016: Bad Things (featuring Camila Cabello)
- 2017: At My Best (featuring Hailee Steinfeld)
- 2017: No More Sad Songs (featuring Little Mix)
- 2017: Trap Paris (featuring Quavo & Ty Dolla $ ign)
- 2017: Numb
- 2018: LOCO
- 2018: Rap Devil
- 2019: Sorry Mama
- 2019: why are you here
- 2019: Bullets With Names (feat. Young Thug, RJMrLA & Lil Duke)
- 2020: Misery Business (Paramore cover)
- 2020: bloody valentine
- 2020: concert for aliens
- 2020: my ex’s best friend (with blackbear)
- 2011: Inhale (with Juicy J)
- 2011: Invincible (with Ester Dean)
- 2012: I Don’t Dance (with DMX)
- 2012: Wild Boy (with Waka Flocka Flame)
- 2012: Runnin (with Planet VI)
- 2012: Lace Up (with Lil Jon)
- 2013: Mind of a Stoner (with Wiz Khalifa)
- 2013: Swing Life Away (with Kelinn Quinn)
- 2013: Hell and Black (with Kid Ink)
- 2013: 50 (with French Montana)
- 2013: Hold On (with Young Jeezy)
- 2014: Free the Madness (with Steve Aoki)
- 2015: Spotlight (with Lzzy Hale)
- 2015: A Little More (with Victoria Monet)
- 2016: Cash Rules (with Kevin Gates)
- 2016: Bad Things (with Camila Cabello)
- 2016: Young Man (with Chief Keef)
- 2016: Bad Motherfucker (with Kid Rock)
- 2017: At My Best (with Hailee Steinfeld)
- 2017: Gang (with Doe Boy)
- 2017: Trap Paris (with Quavo and Ty Dolla Sign)
- 2017: Go for Broke (with James Arthur)
- 2017: Numb (with G-Eazy)
- 2017: Ocho Cinco (with French Montana, Sean Combs, Red Café and King Los)
- 2017: Home (with X Ambassadors and Bebe Rexha)
- 2018: Too Good To Be True (with Danny Avila and The Vamps)
- 2018: “Lift Off” (with Mike Shinoda and Chino Moreno) on the Post-Traumatic album)
- 2019: “I think I’m okay” (with Yungblud)
- 2020: forget me too (feat. Halsey)
- 2020: all i know (feat. Trippie Redd)
- 2020: my ex’s best friend (with blackbear)
- 2020: nothing inside (feat. Iann dior)
- 2020: body bag (feat. Yungblud and Bert McCracken)
- 2021: Love race (feat Kellin Quinn)
- 2014: Beyond the Lights by Gina Prince-Bythewood: Kid Culprit
- 2015: Punk’s Dead: Crash
- 2016: The Land: Slick
- 2016: Roadies: Wes
- 2016: Viral by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost: CJ
- 2016: Nerve by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman: Ty
- 2018: Bird Box by Susanne Bier: Felix
- 2018: Big Time Adolescence of Jason Orley: Nick
- 2019: Captive State by Rupert Wyatt: Jurgis
- 2019: The Dirt by Jeff Tremaine: Tommy Lee
- 2020: Project Power by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost
You may also this article : aubrey plaza